воскресенье, 6 ноября 2016 г.

Save Print

Save Print


Save Print


LOVE that Gruyere-Parmesan combo!! These would be perfect for a holiday dinner. Pinning!


Thank you Elaine! Nothing says holidays like cream, cheese and potatoes!


I make these often, however, I’ve never considered placing the slices vertically. This looks so amazing. Will definitely try this method. Thanks for the recipe.


It’s amazingly easy and comes out looking like you worked hours on it…the perfect dish!


Oh my goodness! These look like cheesy potato perfection! What a pretty dish to set on the Thanksgiving Day table too!


Beautifully done! I have 10# of Yukon Golds waiting to become this! Thanks.


Love your site! Still drooling over the Chicken Fried Stead recipe! Thanks for your note!


Oh these potatoes sound like the perfect side, well, for any meal! I love potatoes so much! Thanks for the delicious recipe!


Thank you Kristine! Hoping you get a chance to try it!


This looks fabulous! Fancy enough for Thanksgiving dinner, comforting enough for leftovers for brunch the next day! I wonder if it’d be good with Yukon Golds as well?


They are my fave potatoes but I chose russets since they are bigger and make for a more impressive looking dish. If you use Yukons you will probably have to increase the cooking time by 15-20 minutes. Thank you for your nice note!


Yes! I love that I don’t need a madolin slicer for this. Mine broke years ago and I haven’t found a reason to buy another except to make Au Gratin Potatoes. Not anymore! Thanks for sharing this recipe. They look to die for and I can’t wait to make them


Thank you Sharon! I don’t have the coordination for a mandolin slicer and would prefer to keep my finger tips attached…ouch! LOL!


Don’t touch that dial! I know, these look sooooo hard to make, but believe me when I say they are incredibly easy! Four ingredients and no fancy equipment needed!


I didn’t use a mandolin slicer. I didn’t even heat up the cream before I poured it in. I simply sliced the potatoes with my trusty sharp knife and tossed them in cheese, garlic and cream….heavy cream my friends. No messing around here.


I lined the potatoes up vertically in a 2 quart baking dish. Poured the remaining cream over these beauties and into the oven it goes! They come out beautiful every time.


So what is a Gratin? According to Wikipedia it is a “widespread culinary technique in which an ingredient is topped with a browned crust, often using breadcrumbs, grated cheese, egg and/or butter. Gratin originated in French cuisine and is usually prepared in a shallow dish of some kind.”


I used large russet potatoes so it only took about 5-6 of them. Bigger the tater, the prettier this dish will be. Over buy your potatoes in case you need an extra to fill in.


I cut off the small ends of the potatoes and discarded them to keep the dish more uniform. But it doesn’t have to be perfect! You can see there are various sizes of potato and the dish still came out very pretty.


Depending on how thick your potatoes are, and how large your cooking vessel is, the cooking time can vary on this dish. I would advise removing a small piece of potato from the center, after baked, to be sure it is completely done. If it is not tender enough for your liking, bake an additional 10 minutes and check again.


These are best served the day you bake them but can be assembled the day before. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.


Get ready to impress your friends and family with this masterpiece…they will never guess how easy it really was!


Save Print


4 to 4 ½ pounds (about 6 very large) russet potatoes, peeled and sliced about ⅛-inch thick.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Toss Gruyere and Parmesan together. Remove ½ cup and set aside for topping.


In large bowl, add cream, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper.


Add potato slices and toss with your hands until every slice is coated with cream mixture, making sure to separate any slices that are sticking together to get the cream mixture in between them.


Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with butter.


Begin to place potatoes vertically in dish. Continue placing potatoes in the dish, working around the perimeter and into the center until all the potatoes have been added. If necessary, slice an additional potato until all slices are packed somewhat tightly in dish.


Pour the excess cream and cheese mixture evenly over the potatoes until the mixture comes halfway up the sides of the casserole. You may not need all the excess liquid.


Cover dish tightly with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.


Remove foil and continue baking until the top is pale golden brown, about 30 minutes longer. Carefully remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and return to oven.


Bake until deep golden brown and crisp on top, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and test for doneness. Bake additional 10 minutes if needed.


Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.


Adopted from NY Times Cooking


Original article and pictures take http://laughingspatula.com/cheesy-potatoes-au-gratin/ site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий